Tuesday 30 October 2012

The Building Work Begins

The raw materials for my mini-board have arrived!  


Not particularly inspiring, I know.  However, I have a dream...

The kids are in bed asleep, my wife is out for the evening, so I've been able to make a start.  As you might be able to see, the board is actually an old piece of marine ply.  Completely intact, but a little grubby and filled with screw-holes.  So task number one is to use filler to plug the holes, then a coat of thinned PVA glue to seal the wood.

The next task on the list is to start texturing.  My plan is to scale up my basing technique, which textures the base with builders sand, and then use static grass to provide colour.  I'm hoping it's going to work!  This is what it looks like in small scale...




1 comment:

  1. Rather than use static grass which will make your miniatures sit above the surface you might consider using fine sawdust flock. You can make your own by sieving out the finest of the sawdust and colouring it with oil-based gloss paint to match your static grass (autumn green or similar shades work well). Just pour a small amount of paint into the sawdust and mix by (gloved) hand, lay it out to dry when the colour is to your liking and then crumble and sieve again. It should sit closer to the ground and not lose its colour like dyed flock from the model shop.

    ReplyDelete