Wednesday 10 October 2012

The Start of a New Project


Thanks for visiting my new blog. I am starting with a new chapter in my wargaming life - with a 2-foot by 3-foot table! Along the way, I want to learn some new skills, create some new stuff and see if I can play entertaining, challenging wargames on a small table.

When I started wargaming, 20-something years ago, I wanted nothing more than a purpose-built wargames table. I was filled with ideas of a games room, with at its centre a lovingly created layout filled with beautiful terrain. Unfortunately, such things are out of the reach of 15 year old boys, and so the dream was forgotten.

I have gone away from wargaming and come back a couple of times over the years, and now I am in the position where I have the inclination (and, just as importantly, an understanding wife) to create my dream wargames table. The only problem is that our house is also home to our two wonderful children. As a result, I don't have the time or space to have a permanent 6' x 5' table, and so I need to find a way of keeping my "wargaming footprint" to a minimum.

I have worked out that a 2' x 3' wargames table will fit happily on our dining room table without me having to re-arrange the whole room. I have even found an old worktop of the right size that my Dad created years ago. And so I have hatched a plan.

I'm going to convert this worktop into my new wargames table. I have a selection of hills from S&A Scenics that I will re-cover to match the table, I'll make (or buy) some new trees, and I'm actually going to try and play some games. My interests at the moment are mainly 20th century, especially post World War 2. The new-ish rules from Ambush Alley, Force on Force, say that it is very possible to have a good games on a 2' x 2' table, so I'm going to test this out with 20mm figures.

Having said that, I'm keen to try out new things. I'm really interested in painting some of the new ranges of hard plastic 28mm figures that are available from Warlord, Victrix, the Perrys and others. Can you have a game on a small table with 28mm figures? Let's find out...

Next time, I'll have made some decisions about colours, raw materials and techniques. Please come along and see how I'm doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment